Saturday 22 December 2018
A dry Saturday at last!! Unfortunately, Mike Anyan the advertised ride leader had to bow out due to bereavement.
Highlights of the day:-
- Caroline was decked out in a Santa’s hat over her ski helmet – super.
- Mary’s bike was adorned with fairy lights – will look super on darker days!
- Richard Page made a guest appearance after a 6 month absence.
- Mike Pain planned on taking it steady after his mammoth 188 miles last Monday to the Welsh interior and back – set off at 4am, back at 9pm.
- I was almost the victim of a lynching party when I suggested that we might climb up Bullbarrow hill via Stoke Wake (a 1 in 4 gradient). Instead, we elected to go through Ansty, Milton Abbey and Winterborne Stickland. Some riders must have forgotten the severity of these alternative hills. A couple of riders who had not ridden for a few weeks were finding it a trifle difficult. Even Mike Pain was reduced to walking up the 1 in 6 section out of the ‘Chocolate Box Village’ at Milton Abbey – to be fair, he was riding a 90 inch fixed gear!!
- Café 65 – the lunch venue – came out trumps again with excellent service, prices and varied menu.
- Ken now joined Caroline at shift changeover. His timing was spot on – 12.30
The route home was via the Trailway to Shillingstone. Mary and Ken turned off at Child Okeford heading for Fontmell Magna. Martin, David and I returned through Manston and Todber.
A trouble free ride for all, mild with only a slight wind. Ideal cycling conditions.
Sorry about the hilly terrain folks – I might have indicated that the ride was flattish. Which just goes to show that my memory is fading fast!
Thanks to all the riders – Mary, Caroline, Ken, Mike P, Martin, David and Richard.
Merry Christmas to all BVCC members and a happy but most of all a HEALTHY new year to all our readers.